How To Bring Your Family With You While Studying In Canada

How To Bring Your Family With You While Studying In Canada

You can enjoy many benefits if you are an international student studying in Canada. You can bring your family with you during your period of stay. Spouses, dependent children, and common-law partners are also eligible for a Canadian study permit or work permit. This means that while you are studying in Canada, your spouse or common-law partner will be eligible for an open work permit. An open work permit does not need a labor marker opinion and lets the holder do any job, they qualify as long as the visa is valid. In addition, you can also bring your dependent children and they can pursue studies in Canada’s world-class public schools without the need for a student visa themselves. If you need support, you can contact a Canada Immigration consultant to help in your Canada immigration process. In this blog, we have listed ways to bring your family with you while studying in Canada.

Visitor Visas For Family Members

You can bring your family through a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). If your family members will accompany you, they can apply for a visitor visa and join you. You cannot apply for a visitor visa at a Canadian port of entry, and, in some cases, you need to undergo medical examinations. This can lengthen the processing time of your application. To find whether you and/or your accompanying family members require a TRV, use the visiting Canada tool available on the Internet.

Study Permits For Children

* Minor children (under the age of 19 in British Columbia) applying from outside Canada to accompany a parent for study in Canada must apply for a study permit. Having a study permit can make the immigration process run smoothly for accompanying minor children. 

* You should submit two years of official school records for your children, in English or with a certified English translation. You have to submit immunization records since birth and their original birth certificate.

* Bear in mind that minor children who are accompanying a family member who holds a study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.

Work Permits for Spouses

International students with a study permit can accompany family members, dependent children, common-law partners, or spouses to get an open work permit. Holding an open work permit will allow the partners or spouse of an international student to work. The permit is valid for the entire length of the student’s study permit. To enter this program, the international student must be studying full-time, and have a valid study permit at:

* A public post-secondary institution; or

* A private post-secondary institution that is aided by Government; or

* A private institution authorized by provincial statute.

Using this open work permit people can work for any employer in Canada and do not need a job offer, or a Labour market impact assessment. Keep in mind, this permit may exclude some occupations like jobs in schools or hospitals unless the medical examination is provided.

Extending Documents For Family Members

When extending documents, each dependent should submit valid documents to stay in Canada. Extend their documents before the expiry date and pay the fee for each person.

Visitor’s documents may be issued in the form of verbal confirmation from an authorized officer of how long their status is in Canada, a stamp in the passport, or a printed document called a visitor record. Having a Canada Border Services Agency stamp enables the visitor to stay in Canada for six months extended stay. If the officer mentioned a date under the stamp, they must lead Canada by the date provided.


Even if your motive is to study in Canada for a couple of years before returning home, you do not want to leave your family behind. Canada immigration center recognizes how hard separation and even brief separation.

That’s why Canada allows international students to bring their families with them when they come to Canada to study. If you require assistance, you can contact Canada immigration consultant to make your journey easy.